Friday, October 3, 2008

Sometimes people worry me....

Here is your SAPSA (Squirreled Away Public Service Announcement) for the day.

There is an e-mail going around which has made it to three people I know already this week. It claims, "I'm against the $85,000,000,000.oo bailout of AIG. Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to America in a 'We Deserve it Dividend'. . . So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billion..... that equals $425,000. My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+ as a We Deserve It Dividend." It goes on to explain how great this would be, how we could all pay off our mortgages, save for our kids college, blah, blah, blah.

Only one MAJOR problem. The math is off, by, ohhhh, 3 zeros. We would each get $425 not $425,000. That money is NOT going to pay off my mortgage, get me very far saving for mythical Junior's college, or even pay off the "puppy debt" I have accumulated since Rigby's arrival at my house.

If you get this e-mail, please pass on the REAL math to your friends and loved ones.

It really scares me that people don't stop to question things they get as e-mail chains... so much of it is just plain garbage. Not only this one but there are plenty of others out there that people seem to believe are the truth somehow because they come through their e-mail server. The other BIG one I remember is the one which is circulating about Obama being a Muslim, and hates America and other things. If you'd like to check out the "fact check" on that one you can do so here: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp. I remember a lady I used to work with who got the Obama one, passed it on to others, and was continually warning people about the things listed in it. She had previously stated that she was going to vote for him too! It scares me that she didn't stop for a second, think it through, and try to check out some of the facts in the e-mail she got before she contributed to the madness.

So please people, think before you hit "Forward".

Thanks you, and have a nice weekend :)

1 comment:

Jonathan Canny said...

Hey Ashley! Thanks for checking up on me. Glad to see you are happy and well. Happy belated birthday!