Thursday, January 1, 2009

Change.. one step at a time

I've never really been a fan of New Year's Resolutions, but I feel somewhat compelled to make some changes in my life, and the start of 2009 seems like an appropriate time to do so.  I'm not going to refer to them as "resolutions" since I don't want to be like all the gym goes who quite their resolutions by February.  My hope is to use this blog to chronicle the progress on these changes throughout the next year.  I like to think if these ideas are out in cyberspace somewhere it will make me accountable.  (I do recognize this is all in my head, since I doubt my non-existent readership will be clamoring for updates, but hey, a girl can dream.)

So, without further ado, my hopes for 2009.

1) Read More - Ok, I know this isn't very exciting, and will not likely provide some great amusement for this blog, but I always loved to read, and every time I read a book for pleasure I am reminded how much I love it.  With that, any suggestions?

2) Blog More - I used to use livejournal a lot, and really enjoyed writing about my life.  It might not be Paris Hilton style antics, but I think I've got something to share.  I love reading other blogs, and I hope that I can provide some amusement as well out in the blogosphere.

3) Become more financially savy - I am 25 years old and I think it is about time that I start thinking more strategically about how I spend my money.  I know I do a fairly good job, but I think there is always room for improvement.

4) Start an Etsy Store - I've always been somewhat crafty, and I would love to be able to provide myself a little extra income (see goal above!) by creating something I love.  Ideally, I would love that to turn into something full time, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.  Real employment does have it's perks (like health insurance!).

5) Clean House - I have a TON of stuff in my life.  I mean, Hello Kitty paper, pencils and stickers that I've never used and have been trucking around with my since middle school, kind of stuff.  I used to find some odd comfort in this stuff but now it is starting to feel like extra dead weight.  E-bay here I come!  I'm still struggling with the memories stuff... things from High School etc.  But that is for another day.

6) Learn my way around the kitchen - I'm not bad at cooking but I'm not great.  I'm a stickler for recipes, since I'm terrified that I'm going to screw things up otherwise.  I need to get over that.  I had my first big baking adventure (for another post) but it turned out wonderfully!!

7) Knit Christmas gifts - I always PLAN to do this (and I actually did for 3 people) but I want to do more.  I love knitting, and if I start now I should easily be able to do this without the stress around the holidays!

8) Learn to worry less - I worry a lot.  I worry about big things (employment, money etc.) but I also worry about a million and one stupid things which constantly stop me from enjoying my life.  I wake up on vacation worried that we are missing valuable vacation time because we were sleeping.  I spend time at a party worrying about when we are leaving so we can make sure to be up in time for something the next day.  I am constantly one step ahead of myself and worrying about the next thing.  This needs to stop.

I think that is good for now.  Eight things is plenty to work on, and if I somehow master these, I think I can find something else too :)

No comments: