Monday, January 5, 2009

My dog a gimp!

Poor Rigby! On Saturday, while doing his usual in the house ball fetching, Rigby ran into the wall/door molding outside our bathroom door. Zach was playing with him, saw the hit and the following doggy limping/whining. I heard the whining and instantly thought the worst (see, there goes the worrying again...) and ran to see what was the matter. Poor puppy was sitting there looking awful pathetic with his paw up in the air and whimpering. Zach and I both started to try and calm the little bugger, which seemed to help. After a few minutes it became clear that it probably wasn't broken, since he is more than willing to let us poke and massage his paw/arm with no whimpering or whining. Yet, he has been seriously limping and not using that front right leg ever since. He spent most of the rest of the weekend napping on the couch with us, only getting up occassionally to eat, pee, play with the cat a few times and try and get us to play ball with him a couple times before giving up and coming back to nap.

We are fairly certain it isn't broken... we've done a lot of handling of his leg/paw and aren't getting any reaction. I would have to think if it was broken, he'd be reacting when we touched it. However, if it is a sprain, what do you do for a doggy leg sprain? I assume a lot of rest... which has pretty much been the ticket so far. I have read you can give them asprin in really small doses, but I worry that if it feels better he'll start walking on it, and obviously I can't exactly explain to the dog that since it feels better he can't run around on it. The crazy in me wants to take him to the vet pronto, but my wallet is urging otherwise. I can only imagine what the vet bill will be after an exam and x-ray... not that Rigby's health is more important that my money (at least up to a point...) but I would hate to go through all of that only to have them tell me there is nothing we can do! Does that make me a bad pet mom?

No comments: