Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I'm becoming a statistic!

Well... I guess I shouldn't say that it was inevitable... but it probably was. Tomorrow (I learned today because I'm in the boss' office!) my employer is announcing that all non-Union employees will be required to take 15 fulough days over the next 15 months.

I'm trying to focus on the positive. That is 15 days off! As an exempt employee (meaning I'm salaried and therefore not eligible for good stuff like overtime) that means 3 one week vacations over the next year and a half, which will come in handy with the wedding and what not coming up. I generally only have 2 weeks of vacation a year, so I've been stocking up on vacation days with the hopes of being able to use them in the upcoming year for the three time-off activities I had planed for next year (Paris, wedding and honeymoon!). I guess all that stocking away of days isn't really necessary now... I'll have plenty of time!

What won't come in handy? Um... 15 days less pay over the 15 months. That essentially amounts to a 5.8% reduction in pay, which I think means I'll make about as much as I was making when I started this job a year and a few months ago. It wouldn't be so bad if I was still stocking away all that money I was making off the raise (It was supposed to be my vacation savings!) but with Zach not bringing in as much right now, every penny I make is pretty much going towards our household expenses. I haven't really been saving a dime for wedding or other "fun" expenses, let alone the raining day fund I was hoping to begin. You know, that 6 months emergency reserve everyone is "supposed" to have, I was actually trying to do that! So much for that....

On the plus side, Zach has been doing really well with getting new students for his budding piano teaching business, and he is bringing in more money every week. Hopefully his new income should be able to replace my minor reduction.

Ok... I'm over it. I wanted to feel bad for myself for a second, and now I'm done. I am blessed to be employed right now given the economy, so I need to just get over it. I can still help support my little family, I can still pay the bills, and we still live a really GOOD life. I can't very well complain about that right?

I'll just consider this God's way of telling me to get a little more crafting in. I guess I'm going to have more time for Squirreled Away business adventures...

No comments: