Tuesday, June 8, 2010

On to the "Walking" Cast

Last Thursday I got rid of my beloved scooter and upgraded (at least in the form of progress towards full recovery) to a "walking" boot! They once again took all the bandages off and I got to see my someone still gross looking foot again. I can say it looks like it is healing well, but yeah, it is still pretty gross.

Now, my "walking" boot should really be called a shuffling boot. Given that I can't bend my ankle in it, you can't really walk in it, even if it doesn't hurt (which most of the time, it does not). Not to mention this sucker is heavy. I would guess it weights something similar to the cast I had before, only now I'm trying to walk with it.

My other boot complaint? The boot puts my foot up a good 2 - 2 1/2 inches off the ground. So I have to wear a heel of some type on my second foot, just so I even out. Luckily I had a pair of Dansko sandles that have a serious base and heel to them (but not like "heels") so I don't kill myself walking in it. Seriously, trying to walk with a flat shoe and the boot would really mess up your hips I think. I found one other pair of shoes that I got a the Walking Company that also seem to do the trick.

Either way though, I'll take it. The boot definitely lets me get around a lot better (even if it is much slower) than the scooter. The scoots served it's purpose, but I'm glad I can now get my own breakfast and hopefully I'll take a standing shower soon. The shower chair is getting old.

No comments: