Thursday, September 4, 2008

My High School is stalking me...

Earlier this week, I got a postcard from my high school asking me to update my personal information with them for some alumni directory they are attempting to assemble. My first thought was, how on EARTH did they find me? I have lived in at least four different places since my high school days, and two of those have been out of state. My last move was over a year ago, and I have had actual important mail that had a difficult time finding me at my new address. How exactly did my high school, who usually sends mail to me at my Dad's house (he still lives at one of my past addresses) find me all the way in Illinois? Now, to make matters even more creepy, they also have my e-mail address and sent me an additional request through that.

I can't say I miss this place.

Thinking back, this is actually the third such request I have received from an old school of mine. Both Carroll College and NIU have sent me the same types of postcards and e-mails in the past year. Looking a little further down the line, it looks like this is the work of "Harris Connect". Clearly this company has some contacts at the Pentagon that help them track down alumni information. Then again, I don't think that even the government is this good at keeping track of me.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't really have any opposition to the idea of my previous schools having my contact information. I just find the following portion of all of these communications odd:

"CALL TODAY - TOLL FREE 1-800-864-6208
(Central Time)

Mon. - Fri. 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Sat. 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sun. 11:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m."
You can only call to update your information. With all the work you have done to track me down, you couldn't have developed some type of easy to fill out on-line form? Not to mention, with such a form they could have contacted me ONCE, I could have filled it out, and they could have just shared my information with all three schools! Clearly these people should hire me to do some of their development work.

I have absolutely no desire to call these people. I feel like the conversation is going to go like this, "So what have you been doing since you graduated from high school?" "Well, I went to college at Carroll College in Waukesha, WI...then..." "Um... can you spell that college for me?" I don't want to spend half an hour trying to update some operator about my life and trying to literally spell it all out for them.

Strangely though, I fully have a desire to share my life and accomplishments with people, especially the people I have graduated from high school with. If there was a form I could fill out, I would 100% participate, but to call, that is just too much work. Does this prove that I am seriously lazy? Yep.

Not to mention, if I call, then these crazy information miners will have my phone number too and that is just too much. Give Carroll and NIU my phone number so that they can harrass me to donate money? Not a chance.

No comments: