Monday, May 10, 2010

Post Surgery Update: Lessons Learned So Far

Ok, so it has only been a little over a week, but I feel I've learned a few important lessons so far, and here they are:

1) People are really nice and will offer to help you when you look pathetic. My boss even met me at the front door of our building and parked my car for me when it was raining earlier this week. Don't try to play too cool for help, take it when it is offered!

2) Personal injury is really a great conversation starter. That probably sounds bad, but seriously, people who I see every day but don't know well, will have full on conversations with my about my foot problems when they see the cast. And it seems, almost every woman I know has foot problems, or at least knows someone else who does. Guys on the other hand, just want to know about the scooter. If they can try it, we'll probably be friends for life.

3) Shower chairs (at least for an injury) are a TOTAL RIP OFF. We went to CVS looking for a shower chair and only found $70 versions. You know what also works well? A plastic patio chair, and at $10 that was still probably a rip off, but we didn't want to bother with another store. And I am happy to report, the chair works perfectly! (Also purchased were a handheld shower unit and a cast cover, each $20). Although $50 worth of stuff just to shower seems stupid, it is 100% worth it not to have to take another bath. Baths are only fun when you don't have to actually clean yourself in them.

4) Knee Walkers/Roll-A-bouts, or my "Scooter" as it is lovingly referred to, are the best invention ever. I love my scooter. I can get around, avoid crutches and it is even kind of fun. Not to mention it is a great conversation starter with total strangers who are always amazed by your awesome device. I'm like a one-woman advertisement, but seriously, I'd be 10 times as miserable right now if I had to use crutches.

5) Repeat the mantra, "It will be over before I know it." Especially when I've once again forgotten something I need all the way upstairs. A good sense of humor, and a great husband (or other helper) are key to a smooth recovery. If you feel bad for yourself all the time, your recovery period will totally suck. You've got to do what you can, and ask for help when you can't. Even though it feels like the longest time ever (I know my days on the couch felt like a week, and they lasted 5 days.) it really is just a blip in your life. Hopefully a blip that will make the rest of life easier with a pain free foot!

6) The movies are wonderful. ADA accessible, and if you get their early, you can put your foot up on the railing in the front row and life is good! We're not usually big movie goers, but man, being out of the house and feeling minorly social felt FANTASTIC!

No comments: