Monday, May 24, 2010

Stupid Cripple Moment #1: The Scooter and I Bite the Dust

Oh updates.. how I have neglected you, and with so much excitement, I don't know how I could!

So two weeks ago Wednesday (May 12th if you're keeping track) I was scooting my way out of Village Hall (where I work). As I was coming out something happened, I'd like to say that a bunny ran out in front of me, and in my efforts not to roll right over it, I fell, but I didn't. I can't even really tell you what happened. All I know is that before I knew it, I was falling. In that great, slow motion movie kind of way.

All I remember thinking was, "Oh Shit" and "Don't hit the foot!". I mostly landed in the grass, but my toes scrapped the sidewalk. A nice resident walking up helped me up, as did one of our Trustees who had walked out a few seconds before me. I was pretty sure I was totally fine physically, my ego, was probably another story.

I got to my car and had to catch my breath and my composure. Falling is always scary, but falling when there is NO way to catch yourself (other than your arms) is pretty terrifying. I was shaking like a leaf in my car, and finally realized that I had no idea if I had actually done any damage to myself. I hit my left (i.e. the injured leg's) knee on the ground (minor, although no bleeding scrape there). Then I wanted to check my toe. But I can't see my toes in my cast. Shit.

So what did I do? I whipped out my camera phone to take pictures of my toes and make sure all was well. It took a number of tries to get the angle right, but I finally confirmed that 1) I still had a big toe. 2) It wasn't bleeding. BUT 3) I had scraped off quite a bit of the toe nail on my big toe in the process. Uh oh.

Once I was pretty sure nothing really hurt, I called my husband. After a good laugh about my fall (I must admit, it was pretty damn funny), we confirmed that I should continue with my afternoon and not call the doc quite yet. If I had any major pain or bleeding, then we'd call. Otherwise, the hubs would check out the toes in the evening and see what he thought.

Upon inspection, we decided to call the doc in the AM, just to make sure. After all, the doc did say to call if you had any falls, and frankly this was kind of a doozy. Upon the report of a fall, the nurse immediately made me an appointment for that afternoon. Evidently they take that stuff seriously.

After a little ribbing upon my arrival, the doc did x-rays, and confirmed what I suspected, everything was fine. Crisis averted.

Or should I say, one crisis down, a few more to go. This whole being without a foot thing, is pretty rough.

No comments: